Saturday, July 13, 2024

Highway and Sanitation Department?

1) What do we do with the leaves? Leaves are bagged in the Spring and placed at the curb in the Fall
2) Do we pick up brush? Brush has to be cut into 4 foot lengths and stacked and bundled neatly
3) Do we pickup metal? We pickup metal all year round just call when its out
4) When do we have "free dumping"? We have a Spring clean up generally in May and a Fall clean up in October
5) Do we supply "roll off' dumpsters or dumpsters or cans? No we do not
6) Do we pick up grass? Yes if it is bagged
7) When is there no parking? No parking on Village streets from November 15 to April 1 for the snow plows to be able to properly clear the road.
8) Who is responsible for the sidewalks? We are not responsible for maintainance, clearing or repairing any village sidewalk.
9) Can we just dig in the road? You must get an excavation permit before digging in any Village roadway.
10) How am I charged for Sanitation usage? 2 garbage cans $104.00, 3 - $156.00, 4 - $208.00, 5 - $260.00, Dumpsters start at $350.00
11) Why am I charged for Sanitation if I have no garbage? Once you tum your water meter on by Village Code you are required to pay for sanitation from the day the meter is turned on.

Building Department?

When Do I Need A Building Permit?

Changes to properties and structures, including both new construction and renovations or remodeling, often require Building Permits under the Codes of the Village of Monticello and the N.Y.S. Building Code.

The following information offers specific guidelines and examples to help you determine whether you will need a Building Permit for planned electrical, plumbing, structural work or change of use on your property.


1. Erect, add onto, relocate or, make structural changes to a building. This includes: an attached or detached accessory building such as a garage, carport, breezeway, a storage shed, a porch or steps; or permanently enclosing an existing porch.
2. Convert or change the use of a building or part of a building. This includes establishing a home occupation within a dwelling. Home Occupations require a Home Occupation Permit.
3. Install, relocate or remove interior partitions or walls.
4. Enlarge, decrease or remove interior partitions or walls.
5. Install fire stairs, cellar stairs, fire related enclosures or fire retarding cellar ceilings in multiple dwellings.
6. Repair fire damage.
7. Install or replace a masonry chimney or metal smokestack.
8. Install a swimming pool (in ground or above ground).
9. Install or replace a heating unit.
10. Install a canopy or marquee; or install a permanent cover or metal awning which extends over the street property line.
11. Install a fuel tank, gasoline tank, and any other flammable liquid or gaseous tank, either above or below ground.
12. Install a fire alarm system, sprinkler system or standpipe system.
13. Install an elevator, escalator or dumbwaiter.

When is a Building Permit not required?

The state law requires a Building Permit for everything except as follows:
You do not need a building permit for:
(1) necessary repairs which do not materially affect structural features;
(2) alterations to existing one and two family buildings, provided that the alterations:
    (i) do not materially affect structural features;
    (ii) do not affect fire safety features such as smoke detectors, sprinklers, required fire separations and exits;
    (iii) do not involve the installation or extension of electrical systems; and
    (iv) do not include the installation of solid fuel-burning heating appliances and associated chimneys and flues.

When is a Certificate of Occupancy or Certificate of Compliance Required?

A Certificate of Occupancy or a Certificate of Compliance for all work that requires a Building Permit.

A certificate of Occupancy is required before any apartment can be occupied in a Multiple Dwelling.

When in doubt check with the Code Enforcement Official.

What documentation is required to obtain a Building Permit?

"APPLICATION FOR BUILDING AND ZONING PERMIT" Form 1 Fill in all applicable parts of the application and submit to the Building Department.

ZONING REVIEW: Submit two (2) copies of a plot plan which show:
- The size and shape of the lot.
- The location of all structures on the lot.
- The proposed construction or addition.
- Distances (setbacks) from the proposed construction to the lot lines and any other structures.

Two (2) sets of construction drawings, drawn to scale, are required to review conformance with the Village of Monticello Codes and the N.Y.S. Building Codes.

PROOF OF INSURANCE: If the owner contracts out the work, the contractor is responsible for filing a certificate of Insurance with the Code Enforcement Official before a Building Permit is issued with the Village of Monticello listed as additionally insured. Certification on workmen's compensation, liability and/or disability is required.

ELECTRICAL WORK: If there will be electrical work involved, the electrical contractor shall be licensed in Sullivan County. All electrical work shall be inspected and approved by one of several inspection agencies that have been approved by the Village of Monticello.


1. Installing new plumbing fixtures or replacing plumbing fixture moving the water supply lines or sanitary drainage lines or vent lines.
2. Install, repair or replace a water supply line, storm or sanitary drainage line or vent line.

Sewer Department?

1. My drains are not working properly what should I do?

In many cases the problem is in the property owners own sewer or drain line and will require a plumber or sewer cleaner. The Sewer Department will check the Village's sewers at your request before a plumber or sewer cleaner is called. You may call 794-5920 to arrange this. Unless a situation is an emergency the Sewer Department request that all calls be made between 8 am and 4 pm during normal work days.

2. What is the cause of sewer gas around the house?

Sewer gasses may come from a dried out trap, whether that is an unused sink or a little used basement or garage floor drain. These may be corrected by adding water to the drain to refill the trap. Other causes may be a plugged sewer, broken or cracked pipe or plugged vent pipe.

3. Can I pour material down the street drains in front of my house?

No. Material such as used motor oil, antifreeze, paint etc., are hazardous. The street drains are connected to storm sewers which discharge directly to a near-by stream, or river and receive no treatment. All such materials should be recycled or disposed of at an approved location.

4. What is the most common cause of sewer blockages?

Tree roots and cooking grease/oils are the most common causes. Cooking grease/oils should not be put into drains; they should be disposed of in the garbage.

5. Am I responsible for the maintenance of any part of my sewer line?

Homeowners are responsible for the sewer lateral leading to the sewer main. Any clog or obstruction contained in the sewer lateral is the homeowner's responsibility to remove. The homeowner is also responsible for the sewer clean out located along the sewer lateral. Personnel from the Sewer Department would be pleased to assist homeowners in answering any specific questions concerning these issues.

6. Can my sump pump be connected to the village sanitary sewer system?

No, a sump pump must be discharged onto the top of the ground or connected to the storm sewer.

7. What are the green paint markings in the street?

The Sewer Department marks the location of sewers and sewer structures when it receives notification through Dig Safely of excavation in the area. Green paint is the color assigned to sewers and drain lines.

8. How do I obtain Permit for a Sewer Tap?

The property owner or their contractor is required to fill out a Sewer Tap Permit Authorization. This form can be obtained from the Sewer Department (or downloaded from this website). The Authorization has to be completed and then signed by the Sewer Superintendent . After the signature has been obtained the completed form has to be submitted to the Village Clerk at the Village Hall and the appropriate fee will need to be paid to the Clerk.

9. I am having some work done on my property and need to locate my home sewer line, who should I contact?

In many cases the exact location of a private sewer is not known. The Sewer Department will mark the sewers it is responsible to maintain in the street but they may not know the exact location of the private sewer. Before any digging is done you should have all utilities marked by calling Dig Safely New York at 1-800-962-7962.

Also, 24 -48 hours prior to digging, please call the Sewer Department to schedule inspections of the work that is being performed.

10. Where is the Sewer Department located?

The Sewer Department / Wastewater Treatment Plant is located at 38 Plant Drive which is off of Waverly Avenue in the Village of Monticello.


In addition to other requirements set by the Village of Monticello Sewer Department, the following shall be required as mini rum conditions for gravity sewer lateral installation in the Village.

1. Pipe shall be a minimum of ASTM SDR35.
2. Minimum slope shall be 2%.
3. Minimum size shall be four (4) inches, or larger if required by the Superintendent.
4. Connections to sewer main shall be with approved saddle fittings or tee wye connection, if available.
5. Minimum depth shall be four (4) feet below finished grade, unless otherwise approved by the Superintendent.
6. No building sewer shall be backfilled until it has been inspected by the Village Engineer or Sewer Department personnel.
7. Sewer and water services shall not be laid in the same trench. A minimum clearance of 10 feet horizontal and 18 inches vertical separation shall be maintained.
8. Pipe shall be installed as per manufacturer's recommendations.
9. Whenever the existing foundation is found unsuitable, a compacted bed of screened gravel or any other approved method which will provide a firm stable pipe foundation shall be used.
10. Excavations are to be kept free of water by pumping or other approved means during pipe-laying operations.
11. In areas of rock excavation, pipe shall be placed on six inches of sand or gravel.
12. All exposed ends of incomplete lines are to be plugged when pipe laying is not actually in progress
13. All work shall be done in conformance with OSHA and NYS Construction Safety Code.
14. All excavations for building sewer installations shall be adequately guarded with barricades and with lights when work is shut down overnight or on weekends.
15. Backfilling of building sewer shall conform to the following:
    (i)Minimum of 6" of crushed stone foundation in wet conditions under the pipe.
    (ii)6" of sand foundation under normal conditions.
    (iii)12" of a select granular fill (or sand)
    (iv)Select run off trench material to finished grade or follow Highway Depaitment backfill specifications in all Village streets and right-of-ways.
16. Any work performed on weekends, holidays or after hours shall not be backfilled until it is inspected by village personnel. Any work that is backfilled without an inspection will be required to be exposed for inspection.
17. Owner or contractor must call Dig Safely New York 1-800-962-7962 a minimum of 48 hours before excavation begins.
Any questions regarding these regulations or if you need any additional information, please call the Village Wastewater Plant at 845-794-5920.

The Village of Monticello Water Department

The Village of Monticello, Water Department was established in 1895. Since then the Treatment Plant has been up-graded to meet all of New York State Health Department Standards. The design capacity of the Water Treatment Plant located on Kiamesha Lake, is 2 million gallons per day. Also there are 3 Production Wells with a design capacity of 300 thousand per day, for a total of 2.3 million gallons per day. Operating hours are from 8:00 AM to 11:00 PM, if an emergency occurs after 11:00 PM they should be called into the Monticello Police Department, at which time they will contact the Water Department Personnel. Billing inquiries are from 8:00 AM TO 4:00 PM. Monday thru Friday.

Water Bills come out, November 10, February 10, May 10 and August 10 (quarterly) unpaid bills goes to lien on taxes in June.


Informational tips on Water conservation are:
Check dripping hot and cold water faucets, leaking toilets, leaking pipes, putting water savers or flow restrictors in faucets and shower heads, put a plastic jug with some pebbles inside your toilet tank, or just by taking shorter showers, or using less water in bath tubs.
When shutting down your home for the winter, make sure your house is drained properly by a responsible plumber. If not drained and you are leaving the heat on make sure the house is checked at least twice a day, so freezing up does not occur.
Water costs money... don't waste it!

A dripping faucet or fixture can waste 3 gallons a day—a total of 1095 gallons a year.

Conserve Water and Save Money!


© 2004 - 2024 Village of Monticello, New York. All Rights Reserved  |  Privacy Policy  |  Site Map